The associate pastor shall serve as a right hand to the senior pastor and shall assist in carrying out the ministry of the church. The main responsibilities will involve assuming the pastoral role in senior pastor’s absence; inreach through building relationships with members while ministering to their spiritual needs and obtaining help for their physical needs when needed; and outreach to assimilate newcomers and visitors into the body of the church.
|Ministry Area/Department||General staff/administration|
|Accountable To||Senior pastor|
|Ministry Target||Church in general|
|Position Is||Paid staff|
|Position May Be Filled By||Church member (depending on the denomination)|
|Minimum Maturity Level||Solid, very mature Christian|
|Spiritual Gifts||Pastor/shepherd • Administration|
|Talents or Abilities Desired||Able to serve as a support person to the senior pastor • Experience in teaching/preaching • A desire to minister to people • Organizational skills • Some training in counseling is a plus.|
|Best Personality Traits||Dependable • Discreet • Friendly • Compassionate|
|Passion For||Supporting the senior pastor and ministering to people|
|Length of Service Commitment||Two years minimum|
Back to top
ANTICIPATED TIME COMMITMENTS
1. Doing ministry/preparing for ministry: forty hours a week, off on Saturday and one day during week, except for emergencies and special occasions
2. Participating in meetings/training: four hours a month
Back to top
1. Participate in staff meetings.
2. Fill in when the senior pastor is ill or out of town.
a. Handle emergency situations.
b. Preach/teach/lead services.
3. Support the senior pastor in carrying out the ministry of the church; help as needed with administrative tasks, special projects and campaigns, teaching, etc.
4. Be heavily involved in outreach, visitation to church members, newcomers, visitors and handling special requests from members to visit loved ones they are concerned about.
5. Visit hospitalized members and follow up during their recovery.
6. Provide biblical counseling to church members regarding spiritual matters. Refer to professional counselor when necessary.
7. Be available to conduct funerals and weddings.
8. Pray, pray, pray for the senior pastor, other staff members, volunteer workers, members and the church as a whole.
Back to top